MongoDB must integrate with an organization-level authentication/access mechanism providing account management and automation for all users, groups, roles, and any other principals.
Edit the MongoDB configuration file (default location: /etc/mongod.con) to include the following:
This will enable SCRAM-SHA-1 authentication (default).
Instruction on configuring the default authentication is provided here:
The high-level steps described by the above will require the following:
1. Start MongoDB without access control.
2. Connect to the instance.
3. Create the user administrator.
4. Restart the MongoDB instance with access control.
5. Connect and authenticate as the user administrator.
6. Create additional users as needed for your deployment.
The following resource is also helpful.
This security hardening control applies to the following category of controls within NIST 800-53: Access Control.This control applies to the following type of system Unix.